The scariest two minutes of my life…

Last night, as I was starting dinner, I experienced the worst two minutes of my life (so far…knock on wood). The boys were in the living room, doing normal ‘boy’ things. I heard a bang, and then a second later, Avery was crying that ‘I just got the breath knocked out of me and I’m hurting really bad’ kind of cry. I ran from the kitchen to the living room (the whole 5 feet) and found him flat on his back and Tyler with a guilty look on his face. I went into a bit of panic mode and was trying to get the details out of Tyler. Avery was still crying, but trying to catch his breath at the same time. I got on the floor and scooped him up in my lap (probably the wrong thing to do, but I’m a mom and I just *did* it). I was asking him if he was ok, and then his body went rigid and his whole body started convulsing. I thought “Oh my god…HE’S HAVING A SEIZURE!” I screamed for Tyler to get me the phone and kept yelling at Avery to talk to me, wake up, answer me…SOMETHING! After about 5 or 6 convulsions, his body just went limp and his eyes closed. He had passed out. I cannot tell you the fear that I felt at that moment. Tyler still hadn’t found the phone (we were redecorating and it was not in the usual spot) and I was hysterical at the time. After what seemed like 5 minutes (but was actually more like 5-10 seconds), Avery came to and started to immediately cry and blame Tyler. I just cried like a baby with him. I finally got him calmed down and had to go get the phone. Wade was out of the house, so I called him to come home immediately. I then called the nurse line, and she advised me that we should at least take him in to the urgent care to have him evaluated. In the time I was on hold with the nurse, I found out that Tyler had pulled Avery off the chair by the ankles and he had landed flat on his back and head. So, Wade took Avery to the urgent care, where they decided that he probably did not sustain a concussion, that it was just a slight head trauma, and the initial jolt had just caused his body a little bit of shock. Almost 24 hours later and he is back to his happy little 4 year old self. There is not even a bump on his head to show for it. I keep asking him if he feels ok, and I think he feels a little bit of my anxiety. He keeps snuggling up to me and telling me that he loves me. I love him, too.

Here’s a pic of my sweet boy with Tabby (that cat LOVES him) from last week…

4 thoughts on “The scariest two minutes of my life…

  1. Okay, so I am crying now. I miss them and I can’t even imagine what you went through. Tell him that I love him and I am glad he is feeling better.
    I love all of you.

  2. So sorry to hear of the traumatic moment.

    As they say, “boys will be boys.”
    I suppose this may be just the first
    of other such stressful events to come.

    So… Is Tyler in a super-sized time-out?

    I’m glad that Avery bounced back so quickly.
    Tell him we’re glad he’s OK. That’s a great
    picture of him and Tabby!

    Grandpa & Grandma

  3. Heather,
    I don’t know which is worse, hearing you describe the incident or reading your account of it all. My heart aches for what you and “the guys” went through. Boys are resilient. This sounds like a good oportunity to take a traumatic event and make something positive out of it. It will bring you all closer together. Always take time to tell the ones closest to you how much you love them – you won’t regret it.
    Love always,

  4. That made me tear-up Heather. I know you must have been so terrified! I’ve witnessed a seizure before & they’re quite scary. But as they say, boys will be boys. I’m just very glad Avery is okay.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.